What is Maca?
Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is a root plant consumed as a food and for medicinal purposes and comes from Peru and Bolivia.
Each country has its own form of ginseng, and the ginseng family of herbs have always been used to enhance the body's ability to counter stress, increase stamina and endurance as well as enhance libido. The ginseng herbs in particular have a nourishing effect on the adrenal gland. Maca is known as Peruvian ginseng, (despite the fact that it is not strictly a member of the ginseng family) but has therapeutic properties which are very similar. Maca is different in the fact that it has more of an effect on sexual health and libido in particular that all the other ginsengs, it has been used for many centuries as a traditional folk remedy to increase stamina, energy, and sexual function.
Maca for Sexual Health
Maca is typically consumed as powdered Maca root, and our Maca capsules are the best you will find, they are high grade and 100% pure Maca root and unadulterated unlike many of the previous Maca products we have offered. Our advice is to be careful if you are considering buying Maca, we have found that several of our patients who have contacted us asking for Maca have been disappointed with offerings from the internet, until they tried the Maca we have been offering. Buy at your own risk!
It has been shown to reduce enlarged prostate glands in scientific studies on animals. It has been used to regulate hormonal imbalances, menstrual irregularities, balance healthy estrogen levels, and even alleviate anxiety and depression in women. The amazing thing with Maca (no doubt due to its complexity of naturally occuring ingredients) is that it stimulates each sex to respond in gender appropriate manners, unlike pharmaceutical drugs. Some experts who use herbal medicines in their clinics call Maca “Nature’s Viagra”. And (unlike prescribed drugs) the good news is that Maca side effects, like most herbs is virtually non-existent.
Maca is an ancient herb that has long been used to enhance energy and boost stamina, and Peruvian Maca in particular has for many years been found to be an excellent aphrodisiac and a natural means of improving both a male's as well as female's sexual performance and fertility. If you are looking for an effective and natural way (unlike the pharma drug way) of enhancing your libido, this is the herb to try.
Maca is what is know as an "endocrine adaptogen", which means in English that it helps your hormonal system (especially the sexual system) adapt to the stress and strain of your life. The main benefits of Maca are as follows:
Maca and Science
Science tells us that Maca contains a particular chemical called p-methoxybenzyl isothiocyanate, and this chemical is the primary reason for its sexual enhancement properties and its ability to boost libido in both men and women. Maca root contains almost 60 naturally occurring beneficial phytochemicals.
Unfortunately, most herbal medicines have very little scientific reasearch to back any claims made, inspite of the fact that herbs have been used for many thousands of years even before the word "science" was invented. Maca does have some research behind it, and many scientific papers have emerged in the past 50 years which back the claims made by many people that Maca actually works, and it works well indeed for the following conditions:
1 - Sexual Function
In a 2008 study from CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, researchers found that aca may help alleviate sexual dysfunction caused by use of selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors (or SSRIs, a class of medications used in treatment of depression). The study involved 20 people with depression, all of whom were experiencing SSRI-induced sexual dysfunctionesults revealed that
helped with libido.
2 - Fertility
Maca has a positive effect on increasing a male's sperm count. One study looked at the effect of 4 months of treatment with Maca on semen quality in nine adult men. Maca treatment resulted in increased semen volume, sperm count, and even sperm motility. The interesting thing is that blood levels of testosterone were not affected. This is one of the best herbs in my opinion for a male if he is interested in increasing male fertility. Be sure to read my article on male infertility
3 - Menopause
Maca is an excellent herbal choice for women going through menopause. This herb may help ease anxiety
in postmenopausal women, according to a 2008 study from the journal Menopause. For the study, 14 postmenopausal women took Maca for six weeks and then took a matching placebo
for another six weeks. Study results showed that Maca helped reduce anxiety and depression, as well as improve sexual function in post menopausal women.
Article Last Update: 20 June 2012
- Balick MJ, Lee R. "Maca: from traditional food crop to energy and libido stimulant." Altern Ther Health Med. 2002 Mar-Apr;8(2):96-8.
- Brooks NA, Wilcox G, Walker KZ, Ashton JF, Cox MB, Stojanovska L. "Beneficial effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on psychological symptoms and measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women are not related to estrogen or androgen content." Menopause. 2008 Nov-Dec;15(6):1157-62.
- Dording CM, Fisher L, Papakostas G, Farabaugh A, Sonawalla S, Fava M, Mischoulon D. "A double-blind, randomized, pilot dose-finding study of maca root (L. meyenii) for the management of SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction." CNS Neurosci Ther. 2008 Fall;14(3):182-91.
- Gonzales GF, Cordova A, Gonzales C, Chung A, Vega K, Villena A. Lepidium meyenii (Maca) improved semen parameters in adult men. Asian Journal of Andology. 3.4 (2001):301-3.
- Gonzales GF, Gonzales C, Gonzales-Castañeda C. "Lepidium meyenii (Maca): a plant from the highlands of Peru--from tradition to science." Forsch Komplementmed. 2009 Dec;16(6):373-80.
- Shin BC, Lee MS, Yang EJ, Lim HS, Ernst E. "Maca (L. meyenii) for improving sexual function: a systematic review." BMC Complement Altern Med. 2010 Aug 6;10:44.
- Valentova K et al. The in vitro biological activity of Lepidium meyenii extracts. Cell Biology and Toxicology. (2006) 22.2:91-9.